I have woodworm in my house. Can they spread into my furniture or other floors?
Yes, in theory. However, with modern furniture and modern flooring the finishes
- such as wax, paint, varnish, sealers, stains - will prevent the woodworm eggs
Having just removed an old sideboard from my dining room I discovered to my horror
that my good quality carpet was ruined where the wood touched the carpet as the
carpet pile has been eaten away down to the underlay by woodworms. I have now
got rid of the sideboard but would you advise me whether the carpet would now
be infested and therefore could it spread to my other furniture? If so, what do
I do to protect the carpet and prevent the woodworms spreading to the other furniture?
Adult common furniture beetles beetles do not actually eat anything during their
short life span (3 weeks) and the wood 'worms' (grubs) live deep inside the wood,
so therefore neither of them eat your carpet. The adult beetles could have bored
through the carpet to escape, however, giving the impression that the carpet was
It is more likely
to be an infestation of Carpet Beetle - treat the carpet and floorboards, plus
any bare wooden furniture surfaces, using Boron Ultra 12 in water at 5%.
can I buy a suitable Woodworm Treatment that has no smell?
How do I know if woodworm have laid their eggs on my furniture?
You don't, but remember the risks of infestation are slight. The woodworm eggs
can barely be seen with the naked eye, being approximately 0.5mm x 0.3mm in size,
so you will need a magnifying glass to find. Normal polishing and vacuuming will
How can I kill woodworm eggs on my furniture or floors?
You could spray using an Insecticide, or heat the wood up to about 52 degrees
Centigrade for 5 minutes, or cool the wood down to minus 18 degrees Centigrade
for 5 minutes.
Can woodworm eggs survive and bore in to wood surfaces that have been painted,
varnished, waxed or otherwise coated?
No, eggs can only survive when they can enter the 'pores' of the timber.
Are woodworm eggs laid into old holes?
Yes, frequently. However, they will be killed if the timber has been treated with
can I buy Boron based Woodworm Treatment?
Policy | Returns
Policy | Home Page
01626 331351 F: 01626 331143
Other Property Repair Systems
- how to use Boron based insecticides/fungicides to treat timber rots
and insect attack
- how to treat penetrating dampness in walls and plaster
- how to treat patio decks and yacht decks
- how to kill Dry Rot in buildings
- membranes for lining damp walls, floors, basements and cellars
- epoxy resins for repairing wood, concrete, brick and stone
- upgrade doors to 30 minutes fire resistance
- how to quickly repair joists and beams of any size
- treat steel with Intumescent Paint to provide fire protection
- systems of repair, with step by step methods
- how to repair timber beams
- how to kill and prevent woodworm and death watch beetle